September 20, 2007

Grouchy Today

Picked less than a basket of black-eyed peas and okra this morning and dug out another row for the next garden. Surely all this digging would be considered high-impact exercise! The thrill of gardening has definitely waned. I no longer hum the song "So Round So Firm So Fully Packed" when I'm picking peas, and am actually glad to see some of the plants with rust on them so I can rip them out of the garden. I don't have quite enough peas to fill the canner, which is probably a good thing since I don't feel like shelling peas today. I don't mind putting up okra, but the freezer is getting full.

After working in the garden, I thought I'd go ahead and take my walk since I was already sweaty. I also thought it would be a good way to knock some of the mud off my shoes so I put the basket of veggies in the house and grabbed my pepper spray. And wouldn't you know it but some guy was jogging past the driveway just as I headed out. Since I had barely combed my hair this morning and hadn't brushed my teeth and had mud dropping off my shoes as I walked, I wasn't thrilled about meeting neighbors on the road. After he went by, I started walking the other direction. But he must be out of shape like me because he was behind me again by the time I got down to the end of the block. I started to warn him about a couple of unfriendly dogs at the end of the cul-de-sac but that would mean having to have eye contact so I just let him jog by. As I rounded the bend in the round to the cul-de-sac, he was turning into the driveway at the end where the most unfriendly dog lives! Boy was I glad I didn't say anything to him. I guess he noticed the pepper spray in my hand because he kept his dog beside him and for the first time the silly dog didn't run out into the road barking at me.

Speaking of silly dogs, I saw something on the Today Show that just blew my mind. People are cross-breeding dogs on purpose and getting mega bucks for the puppies. I've heard of the Cockapoo for years, but these people were breeding Puggles (Pug and Beagle mix), Borador (Border Collie and Labrador mix), etc. I can't believe we used to have a Borador and missed out on this incredible gold mine! I also can't believe people are stupid enough to fall for this "unique blend of breeding". They're mutts and practically free at the pound! Get one there and save some animal, plus a few thousand dollars.

And then I've got to wonder what happens when these cross bred dogs are bred to each other. Are they considered mutts then? There is waaaay too much money in this country being spent on frivolity.

Ok, back to my new life. Once again, starting today, I am giving up caffeine and drinking at least eight glasses of water a day. I also thought I'd try to eat healthier, but I guess that won't start today. I had bought a big bag of carrots and opened them today to eat after walking. Every bloomin' one of them is rotten. Thanks H.E.B. I'm also rethinking this "buy less at Walmart" plan. At least I never got rotten carrots at Walmart.

I think that could account for my grouchy mood of the day.

Until next time, may you have blessings and friendly dogs,
Marti