Saturday, October 6, 2007

To Speak or Not To Speak - My Mind That Is

Mom said society overlooks women of a certain age who speak their mind, and she began speaking her mind at age fifty. Coincidentally, that was the same year daddy began spending more time at home.

Now I grew up in the South, where girls are taught to be gracious and polite no matter what the circumstance. Add to that my Southern Baptist upbringing which cemented any cracks in that foundation, and I could never bring myself to say to people what I really thought, even when their stupidity caused me to lose time or money. The other day when I relayed to mom one of life's recent annoying incidents, she asked me when I was going to stop being so polite and give folks a piece of my mind. Since I would like to work again one day, I don’t think this is the time to start speaking my mind. At least not publicly. While I don't speak out to others, I have been known to rant afterwards to my dear Hubby. Maybe that’s not the greatest idea because now I wonder if all those hunting trips were precipitated by a sharp-tongued wife.

After years of biting my tongue and watching my blood pressure spike with the effort, I have begun to see that mom could be right. If you've ever had a problem with a credit card company, or insurance company, or any mega company with an 800 number and a long, automated telephone screening system, you know how hard it is to keep your cool after being transferred to three or more people. Such was my experience today, and the last person I talked to is supposed to research the problem and call me back. Yeah, right. I have a feeling I will be going through this again tomorrow.

Until next time, may you have blessings and tranquility,
Marti

My ordinary life

No comments: