Friday, October 17, 2008

Is Coffee Really Tea?

I was watching The Bonnie Hunt Show this morning. She cracks me up, and her show conveniently fits the time slot between Bonanza and the noon news. Anyway, on the show there was a woman named Ivette Soler with worm tea, made with - you guessed it - worm excrement soaked in water.

And she's not the only one who brews tea for garden use. Howard Garrett also brews tea from compost and adds such delicacies as worm castings, manure, and molasses. The definition of tea from dictionary.com is "any of various infusions prepared from the leaves, flowers, etc., of other plants, and used as beverages or medicines" so both Ivette and Howard as well as Lipton are correct in calling their concoctions "tea".

So I was thinking, as I am prone to do when I drive the little red convertible in ever widening concentric circles, that coffee must be a tea. So why don't we call it coffee bean tea?

Until next time, may you have blessings and your favorite tea,
Marti

My ordinary life

No comments: