Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Upon Eating an Avocado

I am trying to eat healthier. But half of a century of good ol' comfort foods are hard to give up. I made myself eat an avocado sandwich today. Whoever said avocados taste good have obviously never eaten anything better. It doesn't help that I have never liked guacamole, but after hearing all the health benefits of the avocado, I bought one. Actually, I had bought one before, but I took the advice of the clerk at the grocery store and let it get too ripe before I ate it and it was nothing but mush. This time I picked a very firm one. It was still a bit slimy where I cut the outer peel off, but it was firm enough to cut into slices.

Maybe I shouldn't have put mayonnaise on the bread, or maybe I should have eaten a bite of something I really hated before I bit into this sandwich. After the first bite, I thought I might improve the taste by putting some tomato slices on it, but I think I just wasted the tomato. If you haven't tasted one, avocado really doesn't have much of a taste at all, kind of like boiled squash. I don't like boiled squash either.

Looking at the avocado made me wonder about the first person who tasted an avocado. I always think that when I try something new, like "what would have made someone try a kiwi?" Did they think under that hairy peel there would be something good? Unlike the avocado, the kiwi was a good pick. But I do wonder about the first person who ate an avocado. Did they pick it from the tree and try to bite through the shell-like peel? Were they starving, desperate, and delirious and anything would have tasted good? Was it a person with no taste buds? Was it someone so twisted they preferred it over the fruit of the cherry tree? Or after tasting the mushy pulp did they think it was so bad they thought they would mash it up and serve it with corn chips to see how many of their friends would actually eat it? Seriously, have you looked at the stuff growing in the back of your refrigerator, or the stuff your cat threw up on the rug? It looks just like guacamole. And then the ultimate question, why are people still eating this thing?

Until next time, may you have blessings and good food,
Marti

My ordinary life, Humor

3 comments:

frugal zeitgeist said...

I LOVE avocados! The fact that they were on heart-healthy banned lists for so long (until doctors realized that some fats are healthy) makes them feel all the more decadent. If you find them too blan, I'd suggest putting a little bit of salt and pepper on top.

If that doesn't work for you, I would say don't force it. There are plenty of other healthy foods out there; no point in making yourself to eat something you hate.

marky said...

I don't like avocados either!

fifty/fifty said...

I might have exaggerated just a tad lol, but I don't think I'll buy any more avacados.