May 28, 2009

I Just Thought Missing Them Would Be the Hard Part

I have been trying to call Lil for a couple of hours with no answer. I know she doesn't know anyone there yet and the worry about her safety and helplessness to do anything is far worse than missing her. Add to that, Brownie is working the night shift this week and has to go to work at 11 p.m. I hope she can find someone to walk in with every night.

Let me give you some background that led up to this worry. A few days before, Lil had decided to end her boredom by going to a disc golf course, and while there she met a bunch of guys playing the course ahead of her. As the course wound around, she found herself meeting up with them over and over and they talked. They were very surprised to find a girl playing, especially alone. Apparently, it's a male-dominated sport. When they parted company for the night, they gave her the name of a girl who was trying to organize a women's league. So Lil called her when she got home and they set up a time to meet and play a round of disc golf the next evening, which was the night I worried. Lil called me that afternoon and told me she was off to meet a stranger in a deserted park. That in itself is a worry to a mother who is 500 miles away.

I called and emailed that night until 12:30 when my battery died. The next morning I got up and began calling again. Finally, about 11am, I couldn't take it anymore, and called her apartment office and talked to the woman who had shown us the apartment. She said she would put a note on Lil's door. About an hour later, Lil called and the first words out of her mouth were: "I can't believe you couldn't wait 24 hours before calling the office!" She had left her phone in the car and since it was raining when she got in, she just left it.

Since then, she has called me regularly.

Until next time, may you have blessings and convenient phones,
Marti

No comments: