June 12, 2009

Old Game, Old Body, But a Whole New Level of Pain



I played tennis in high school and a year of college until I got married and got a job to support our rent and grocery habit. I played on leagues until our second daughter was born twenty-two years ago and then just played once or twice a year for the next ten years. Then other things became more important, and we moved to an area where there was no tennis association so I just didn't play anymore.

Fast forward to last week. I had been toying with the idea of playing again. Nothing competitive, I just wanted to hit the ball again and get back into shape. After Christmas, I had contacted a tennis association in another town and last week I got a phone call that a league was starting. So I went out to join a few of the ladies in a pick-up game, warning them of course that I was really, really rusty. I knew my strokes would be off, wondered how hard it would be to play with bifocal glasses, and figured I would be sore the next day. I had no idea how sore. My right shoulder and elbow are sore but nothing compared to my left hip. I think I tore a muscle in my gluteus medius. Ouch! I bought two bags of ice and spent the night with an ice pack on my elbow, both shoulders and sitting on another.

This aging thing is really the pits.

No comments: