The hall to our bedrooms opens at the end of our living/dining room. For years, this has been the view from that room:
I've had pictures on both sides of the hall, but the door at the end of the hall has always bothered me and the pictures on the walls only made the hall seem narrower. So I decided to do something about it. I considered putting curtains over it, but since I'm
Also, I would have to buy the tapestry, and find one with a large design which wouldn't be easy. I had these pictures, or most of them, so I decided to make a framed collage of the door. I used Command picture hanging adhesive strips to hang the pictures. They really worked out well. On the first picture, I thought I would put a nail also, just in case the strips didn't hold, but it made it difficult to line the pictures up right, and I could get the pictures to fit next to each other perfectly with just the strips.
I did a few the first night, and then covered the floor in front with pillows for the inevitable crashing onto the floor. But it never happened. So I continued with the rest of the pictures.
Most of the pictures are in cheap, lightweight plastic frames. The Command strips only hold three pounds, although there are strips that hold up to ten pounds. Before mounting them to the door, I marked out a 2x7 foot rectangle on the floor (the size of the door) and worked with pictures, finding ones that would fit the space. Then I made some paper templates of the first three pictures to make sure the spacing would work with the hinges and door knob. Still, I ran into a couple of problems and had to substitute a couple of pictures as I put them on the door. One picture that was supposed to be one direction only worked the other direction, so I need to find another picture to put in that frame. A couple of the frames had hanging brackets put on with screws. Those, I simply unscrewed, put the brackets & screws in a little plastic bag and taped to the other side of the door so I'll have them later. Others had sawtooth hangers that were hammered into the frame and kept the picture from hanging flat. Those I turned upside down so the velcro on the Command strips could get a good connection. I think I forgot to take the picture out of a couple and turn them around. Some pictures are up there just because the frame works, and I hope to find pictures I like better to put in the frames, and in some cases, I'll paint the frames too.
I got a kick out of this one, and don't know how I missed seeing it before.
Lifes? I think I'm going to have to do something about that.
After all the pictures were up, I bought a two foot section of door trim, and attached it to the bottom of the door with more Command strips. I painted all the trim a semi-gloss burgandy color (an Oops color from Home Depot), and used brown craft paint to paint the part of the door that shows. The nice thing about the craft paint is that it will scrub off when and if I get tired of this and it has a finish that looks like mat paper. The burgandy will have to be repainted.
I want a couple of round pictures or plaques to put above the doorknob, and other little things to fill in the other exposed door areas, but the hard part is done.
I started this project while Hubby was on his elk hunting trip because I figured he would have a cow if I suggested it. Probably an elk cow, lol. He is a good man, but isn't really open to new ideas or thinking outside the box, and I seldom think inside the box, so I do these things when he is gone, and he usually loves them when he sees them. This one, however, I figured he would hate. Surprisingly, he liked it! So this project is Hubby approved.
Just wait till he hears what I want to do with the master bedroom closet!
Cost of this project (not including any pictures because I have no idea where they came from or how much I paid back then)
Command strips - 7 packages @ $2.89 each, my big ticket item - $21.90 (btw, Lowes was a dollar higher on each package than Home Depot)
Quart of Oops paint - $3.25
Two foot piece of door trim - $1.47
Brown Folk Art craft paint - $1.69
Total cost of project - $28.
Thanks to Susan of Between Naps on the Porch, for hosting Metamorphosis Monday!
Until next time, may you have blessings and a creative spirit,
This tapestry wraps the corner of our odd-shaped foyer: