October 08, 2009

Our Tour of Alton and Grafton

Last Saturday was cold and spitting rain, so after a quick trip to Wally World to buy mom a coat, we decided to see the sights. We drove north of St. Louis toward Alton and went across this neat bridge. I pulled over and got out to take the first picture, then Lil took all the rest through a dirty windshield while I was driving, so the quality isn't great.











Once in Alton, we stopped at the cemetery and started a living history tour where actors portrayed residents near their graves. It was just a tad boring and we were cold, so we didn't finish it.




It made me sad to see this old headstone with chalk rubbed across the inscription.

Chalk is commonly used, but headstone preservationists hate it because it wears down the stone and the dye in chalk soaks into the pores of the stone, permanently discoloring it.

This tree was in the cemetery too. Kind of spooky looking, isn't it?


After leaving Alton, we drove on to Godfrey where there was a big corn maze and pumpkin festival. It looked like it was more for little kids, so we drove on.

At Grafton we crossed the Mississippi River on a ferry. It's amazing how well the ferry driver could line up perfectly with the road, even against the wind, and there were whitecaps on the river that day.

There was another ferry river crossing, and on our way to that one, I just had to stop and take a couple of pictures of the countryside. Talk about picture perfect.


When we got to the ferries, I was so busy watching that I forgot to take pictures! Maybe next time.

Until next time, may you have blessings and pleasant scenery,
Marti

3 comments:

  1. That bridge is amazing! You took some gorgeous photos!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Marti,

    Thank you for coming by to visit my blog and leaving such a sweet comment.
    I have been enjoying my visit to your blog. I like the simple recipes that you shared...I will be giving them a try!
    May God bless you & your family!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could take the credit, but my daughter took most of them. I didn't realize that she took them all the way through until I got home and loaded the pictures onto my computer.

    ReplyDelete