February 15, 2010

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy - Week 6

This is my blog entry for Week 6 of the challenge created by Amy Coffin of We Tree and hosted by GeneaBloggers.com.

The assignment:
Online databases at your public library. Search your library’s web site and see if your card grants you access to online databases. Libraries (even small ones) often have wonderful online tools including genealogy databases, historical newspapers and more! Take some time and play with these little perks that come with a library card. You just may get some help in your own genealogy research and gain some free research tools to boot. If you don’t know how to access online library databases or you’re not sure if your branch has them, ask a librarian for guidance. If you have a blog, discuss which databases (if any) to which your library subscribes.


Great timing to do this assignment while there is snow on the ground and the library is closed. With my library, I have home access to TexShare Databases made available by the Texas State Library and Archives Commission which includes a lot of databases such as The Handbook of Texas, ProQuest e-library, Texas Digital Sanborn Maps, InfoTrac Custom Newspapers, Net Library, Heritage Quest with the census, PERSI, Revolutionary War and Freedman's Bank. From the library, I can access Ancestry with my library card. While I'd rather search from home, it's nice to know I can search Ancestry without having to have my own membership. It would be nice if our library had enough space next to the computers to lay writing material though. But they have put as many computers as they can fit into a small space and the result is that patrons are sitting elbow to elbow with writing materials in laps. One time I also rammed my knee into a table leg trying to scoot the heavy wooden chair up to the computer. I still remember the blackout pain that accompanied that computer session. A woman next to me said she had done the same thing one time.

Until next time, may you have blessings and painless searching,
Marti