Friday, May 21, 2010

Whazzup, You Asked? My Answers

Occasionally, people email me instead of posting a comment, and once or twice there have anonymous comments I'd rather not post. I'm controlling that way when people post things just to say something hurtful. I get questions asking where I live, real names, and that sort of thing, and to those I have to say that I am not a believer in transparency, like Obama, wherever he might have been born.

But I will answer this question that keeps popping up in emails.

Q. Why did you add numbers and letters to my blog title in your blog roll?

A. That's a terribly complicated answer, involving complex software and computer code. No, not really. It's just a code to help my overcrowded brain. You see, I like to read blogs better than I like to write one, and when I come across a new one I like, I put it on my blog roll. After it pops up to the top a few times and I find I really like it, I want to start reading it from the beginning - partly to know what on earth they are referring to in later posts and partly because it is just so entertaining. But I can't read it all in one sitting, so I made a cyber bookmark.

So Rd 10.1.09 means I've read it through October 1, 2009. Simple right?

At first I just used the code Rd when I had caught up with a blog, but then I realized that after awhile I was behind again and didn't remember how far back I should go to catch up. So you might see some with Rd (Read) or Rdn (Read through November) or Rdh (Read half - that was a really bad idea on my part because I have no idea how far half way is now).

Other codes are TOV (Turn off volume). As entertaining as it is to see Hubby jump from his dozing when a blast of music suddenly erupts from my computer, I wouldn't want to do that to him too often, lest he get used to it and the music blast becomes an ineffective form of amusement.


Then there are the anonymous comments. While I'm not a fan of criticism, if it presents a different point of view in a civil manner, I'll put it through. But some are just mean, such as the one I got yesterday.

I've reconsidered and decided to keep that subject off my blog. Suffice to say, I love my in-laws, but they can drive me absolutely up the wall, just as my kids can, and my husband. And hard as it is to believe, I can drive all of them nuts too. My coping mechanism is humor albeit a bit on the pessimistic side, and I try to write about bad days so everyone can have a laugh, me included. I guarantee my mother-in-law had no idea she was pulling a dull knife over my last nerve.

Now, since I cut half this entry, I'll entertain you with stats from my site meter, which are probably as interesting to others as photos of my vacation to Branson.

Until about three months ago, the number one search that turned up my website was this phrase: "Stand up, sit down, clap, clap, clap" Who knew so many people would be looking for that?

For the last three months, the number one search has been on how to replace an electric outlet.

Most people seem to use the google as their search engine.

Most people spend an average of 0.10 minutes on my blog, which tells me they couldn't hit the back button fast enough.

And last, most people leave my blog through a link, usually to someone else's blog.

And if you didn't find those stats wildly entertaining, I still have those photos of Branson.

Until next time, may you have blessings and a sense of humor,
Marti

3 comments:

Grandma K said...

There are so many mean people in the world. It's a shame that they hide and sling hurtful things out under the cover of anonymity. I still find you very amusing and honest in your writings. Whose in-laws don't drive them to distraction at times! Happens in families too. Hang in there.

The Damsel In Dis Dress said...

Hey, cool blog. Thanks for adding me to your blogroll.

Gayle said...

I love hearing the stats! It's always an eye-opener, isn't it?

I copied your recipe for Chicken and Rice Casserole and will be making it tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.
Gayle