Yes! This is the place to enter your $1 or less makeover! Just put a link to your project in the comments of this post. Challenge ends Sunday at midnight, and I'll draw a name Monday morning.
Now on to the story of the wreath I bought to enter a different contest.
I stopped by the thrift store this morning on my way to the grocery store in a last ditch effort to find something for a craft contest. When I saw these wreaths, I figured even I could do something with one of them. I bought the round one for the contest and the heart one for, um, I dunno, but I'll think of something eventually.
I've never entered an item before. I'm not good with deadlines (as you can see here), and I'm not creative on demand. I do admire those who can just look at something and see lots of ways to do something with it. I'm sure I'm a big disappointment to all those creative people. But they need an appreciative audience and I can do that well. hehehe
I thought I'd make the effort to do something and thought it would be fun to challenge the few people who read my blog too. My rules are that you can buy an item for $1 or less, or get an item for free and you don't have to show the receipt (which would be really hard with a free item). To enter, post a link to your project in my comments. And my prize is a personalized notepad like the ones I showed yesterday. Now I get to find out if anyone is even interested in making something in a week, or if everyone is a procrastinator like me. And I have to do something with this wreath in the next few hours. By the way, I am not entering my own challenge. My wreath is for another contest.
This is what I ended up with, which is probably why I will never enter another contest. Too much pressure for a procrastinator, and would you believe it - Hubby actually wanted dinner tonight.
I wanted to wrap ribbon around it, but I didn't have any. So I cut some fabric into strips - wide strips because I was in a hurry. Kind of boring, so I made a few fabric flowers. In case you can't tell, it's supposed to be a trailing bouquet. The good thing is that I used 1/2 yard of fabric from my stash, along with a bunch of scraps that I don't have to measure now.
Seems like it needed something on top so I stuck from fabric in the hanger and fluffed it to look like a bow. What do you think, make a real bow or no bow? (and in case anyone noticed, I rearranged the flowers)
It dawned on me as I was working on this wreath that some of the ladies I know might not want any information about them revealed, so I have deleted most of this post. Kind of put them off from posting anything, so I apologize and hope they will post again sometime.
Jane asked how I made this wreath, mainly the flowers and leaves. As I said earlier, I cut three inch strips of fabric and wrapped the straw wreath. The only thing holding the fabric on are a couple of drops of hot glue on the very end. The other strips are held on by the overlapping strip. I can't take credit for the flowers. I followed the directions here written by Sachiko at Tea Rose Home. It took me awhile to get the hang of it, and I think every one I did is different, and none as good as hers. I had already cut my fabric into one inch strips, so I sewed the basting stitch 1/4" from the edge instead of down the middle, and then gathered them like she did. For the leaves, I just cut leaf shapes, ironed a fold in the center, and then put a basting strip down the fold so I could gather them slightly and give a little shape.
Hope that helps.