But now it's done and we are that much closer to getting flooring installed.
First, we (as in Hubby), pulled the bottom board of the beams off the ceiling. They were originally constructed like this:
There was a one inch lip on each side, which did nothing but collect dust and provide spiders a place to live. Plus, it was hard to paint the ceiling around it. So Hubby trimmed them to be flush with the sides, not an easy task as one of the "beams" was bowed badly. While the bottom was off, I refinished the sides of the beams. By the time I finished, I was almost comfortable working on the scaffold, but a rail on both sides would have been handy. I refinished the bottom piece in the garage before we put it back up.
Then we looked at a lot of pictures of similar ceilings with side beams and Hubby thought it would look best with two smaller beams on each side and the center. But it had an unfinished look to me, like the ends were dangling, and I
There is a little trim work to be done, plus the baseboard after the flooring is installed, and then comes the fun part: decorating.