Saturday, January 3, 2015

My UFOs and a Plan to Finish Them

Originally posted on Wordpress.

Melissa from Sew BitterSweet Designs and Shanna from Fiber of All Sorts host a monthly, or rather bi-monthly, linky party for the sole purpose of naming a UFO to finish and then showing the finish.  Just the thing I need to help me finish these long-neglected UFOs.

The UFO I plan to finish for January is one I call Showtime!  It is a tee-shirt quilt from my eldest daughter's tee-shirts.  Due to it's size and bulk, I sent it out to be quilted and now all I have left is the binding and label.

Here are the UFO Quilts I want to complete this year.

1.  Showtime!
I last showed it when the top, or flimsy, was completed. (When did quilters start calling them flimsies anyway?) I'd like to have it finished by next Thursday so I can take it to quilt group.

2. Baby Bow
I think it is ready to be quilted.

3. Gairdin Walk
It is also ready to be quilted.

4.  Trip Around the World
Still just a finished top at this point.

5.  FriendsWhoHaven'tMet

6. Depression Block
I think I still have to finish putting blocks together.

7. Christmas Among Friends
I can't believe these swap blocks date back to 2007. And they are still just blocks.

8. Denim Cathedral Window
I have a long way to go on this one, but all the denim circles are cut and it's a quilt as you go type quilt at least.

9. Star Travel
This one may not get done this year. It's in my travel kit.

10. Second Saturday Sampler
This was a block of the month from the local quilt store, with one block still unfinished.



11. Jacob's Ladder
So old that it predates my first blog post.






Today Starts The New Diet

Originally posted January 1, 2015 on Wordpress

I don't know about you, but I tend to pig out before starting a diet.  Like a last fling but with food, mainly desserts.  Before Thanksgiving, I had lost a respectable amount of weight and I'm pretty sure it's all back.

The last time I posted about this, I had just had a colonoscopy but I wasn't due to talk to the doctor until a couple of days before Christmas.  I figured he was going to lower the boom then and give me some literature about celiac disease, diverticulosis, and a diet to follow.  But when I got there, all he wanted to know is if I was taking the medication he prescribed before my colonoscopy for bile acid malabsorption and then he headed for the door.  "Wait," I said, "aren't we going to talk about the results of the colonoscopy and how to treat it?"  He looked surprised and said his nurse had already sent everything I needed to know to Patient Portal.  But he wanted to see me again in two months.  Fat chance.

So I came home and signed up for Patient Portal and finally got the scoop on my new diet.  Since I have inflammation of the large intestine, the first six weeks will be restricted to foods that heal the gut.  Lots of  fermented stuff like kim chi which I've heard of but never tasted.  I think I need to make a trip to Whole Foods.  I don't think our local grocery store is going to have a lot of this healthy food.

After six weeks, I hope I can continue with a normal paleo diet.  For now, there are a lot more things on the AVOID side of the list than on the CAN HAVE side.  On the plus side, it doesn't look like I'll be doing a lot of cooking inn the next few weeks, so more time to work on my new goals.






Happy New Year My Friends!!!

Originally posted January 1, 2015 on Wordpress.

I'm beginning 2015 with a few changes. As you can see, the biggest change for 2015 is blogging at wordpress. I also have a new blog name that I think relates better to my posts. I am still learning how it works, but wordpress seems to be a lot more user friendly than the last time I checked it out.

I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and Hanukkah. I was so happy to have all my family together, even though our time together was much too short. I hate to admit it, but after working non-stop in the weeks leading up to Christmas, and then the work of having company for a week, I'm kind of glad it's over. But I started missing them the minute they pulled out of the driveway on their way home.

December was a busy month for us. We began the month trying to finish a couple of kitchen projects which stretched into the week before Christmas. Then it was a rush trying to get all the construction clutter out of the house, bedrooms cleaned for Christmas guests, and putting up decorations. Both daughters, son-in-law, their little dog, and my mother stayed with us. The tree was finally decorated the day before they arrived. Talk about just making it under the wire.

I wasn't going to make any resolutions this year, but I have found it so difficult to make a blog post lately that I have decided to make just a few blog resolutions. I'm going to call them goals. The word goals sound more determined than resolutions, don't you think?

1. I am going to make a blog post every day for the month of January, even if it's just one sentence. Hopefully, that will get me back in the habit of posting and inspiration will follow.

2. I am going to list my unfinished projects on the sidebar with deadlines for finishing. Of course I have to find them first in whatever closet corner I hid them in the process of "decluttering" for Christmas. It's still clutter, just hidden clutter now.

3. I am going to start a new project every month and not leave it unfinished.

4. I am going to keep track of my projects so I can see what is worthwhile and what is a waste of time and money.

5. I am going to host a home improvement blog party for a month this spring and see what happens.

6. I am going to clear the clutter and finally hang pictures on my walls, and maybe even find those long lost gift cards.

6 comments:

Kate said...

It's been a while since you've posted about your quilt projects. I remember the T-shirt quilt, but none of the others. Good luck with your UFO goals. I'm doing ALYOF this year too in hopes of getting a few UFOs off my project list.

Nancy said...

I plan to work on some UFOs in 2015, too. I don't have many, but those I have been unfinished for years.

martidiy said...

I guess I would be too hopeful to think I could clear out all my UFOs then. Actually, I know the paper piecing won't get done this year. I only work on it when I'm on trips or long waits. Marti

martidiy said...

I hate to think how many unfinished ones I have. I guess I like the start and wane at the finish. Marti

Danette Stout said...

Look forward to seeing the finished quilts. I'm sure you'll get the tee shirt quilt done in January. I always wanted to make one of those.

martidiy said...

Thanks for visiting! The t-shirt quilt was surprisingly easy once they were ironed to interfacing. I didn't think I could quilt it on my sewing machine though. Marti