Monday, December 7, 2015

Design Wall Monday

Hubby went hunting this weekend so I got a lot of work done on my new quilt. But when Hubby is gone, I don't sleep well and I made up for it this morning, so I'm getting a late start today.




This is based off a quilt I saw in a quilt store. I also found some similar online with the name Summer Porch. Eleanor Burns has a pattern that is similar but different, also called Summer Porch. I thought these would be just the right colors and pattern for my grandmother's four poster bed.

The living room/sewing room is in sewing room mode again and the design wall is up. So much easier than the floor for bigger pieces.

I started by measuring the bed and decided that seven inch blocks would line up best across it. But after I made quite a few blocks, I thought they were too big, or maybe it was too much color and the sashing looked too small. So I cut the blocks down to six inches and like it much better. Now I have a lot of one inch strips, so I can see some strip quilts in my future.





Linking to
Patchwork Times
Love, Laugh, Quilt
Bits 'n Bobs
Cooking up Quilts

18 comments:

Sandee said...

I love the colors. A lot.

Have a fabulous day. ☺

Tired Teacher said...

It's going to be lovely, especially for a four-post bed.

beth said...

It's beautiful!

Bonnie said...

I can really imagine this on an antique bed!

Cath said...

that is such a gorgeous quilt design and I do love the colours! thanks for linking up with http://cathquilts.blogspot.com.au/2015/12/dbm-12-its-starting-to-look-like.html

Susan said...

This is gorgeous! Love your color choices!

Rosa said...

So beautiful and love your fabric combo!
Have a fun week.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

I didn't see the difference in the blocks until you pointed it out. I like the look of the smaller blocks too - this quilt will look so good on a four poster bed! The prints are so pretty and gives the quilt a cuddly old-fashioned look. Thanks for sharing at MCM! :)

MartiDIY said...

Thank you. I hope it doesn't look like a child's child when finished.

MartiDIY said...

Thank you. I sure hope so.

MartiDIY said...

Thank you. I loved the one I saw so hope this one grows on me too.

MartiDIY said...

Good! I needed too hear that! I thought it would work but now that I'm working on it, it seems pretty bright.

MartiDIY said...

Thank you!

MartiDIY said...

Thank you. I wanted to go with just green, pink, and white, but that seemed to girly even for me. lol

MartiDIY said...

Thank you. It's certainly going to be colorful.

MartiDIY said...

My grandmother would have liked the colors I think so I hope I can finish it the way she would have liked too.

Jennifer said...

Very nice colors! I remember this quilt being in a magazine a few years ago and one of my bee-mates looked all over for the pattern and finally wound up figuring out like you have!

MartiDIY said...

I wish I could have found her directions, but now that I have blocks the size I like, I think it will go faster.