Monday, December 14, 2015

Design Wall Monday

Still working on the crossroads blocks. I also decided to start using up my boxes of little scraps making string blocks as leaders and enders. I think I may be in danger of not finishing my UFO of the month either. Eek! I'd better hop to!





If you remember from last week, I originally made the crossroads blocks 7-1/2 inches and then decided that was too big, so cut then down to 6-1/2 inches. Being the frugal sort, I thought I'd use the cut off strips to make some string blocks. What a nightmare that was! Not only were all those strips cut on the bias, but they were so narrow that they stretched and curved as I stitched. And it took a lot to make a block. So after one block, I decided those scraps were better off in the trash.

I used that one block to make a pot holder. I thought it would be an easy way to practice free-motion quilting, and boy was I wrong about that. The center wasn't too bad, but there is nothing to hold onto at the edges. I also wanted to try out a method of binding a potholder where the end of the binding was also used to make the hanging loop. I'm not sure I did that right, but it worked. I first used binding that was too narrow and tried to trim the bulk of the potholder to make it turn, but then gave up and made 2 inch binding and just double folded the end that made up the hanging loop. By the time I finished, my potholder wasn't quite square anymore, but since it is just for me, who cares?



On the wall:







Linking to:
Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times 29
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Main Crush Monday at Cooking up Quilts
Design Board Monday at Bits 'n Bobs

14 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

Are you sewing your strings on a foundation? If not, it will help deal with the stretch.

Sandee said...

I love the potholder. That is adorable. I don't have a crafty bone in my body.

Have a fabulous day. ☺

MartiDIY said...

Yes, I sewed them to a thin foundation, but they were so thin that it didn't make much difference.

MartiDIY said...

Thanks! There's probably nothing easier to make than a potholder - unless it's a coaster. lol

Rebecca Grace said...

Both quilt tops on your wall are lovely! Especially the bright, cheerful colors of your Crossroads. Your potholder might not be what you had hoped, but it will work just fine and no one will notice that it's not PERFECTLY square but you. And it was a good opportunity to try out the new binding technique! I've seen those potholders with the binding loop and always wondered how they did that!

beth said...

Potholders dont need to be perfect.... Thank heavens!

MartiDIY said...

I don't think I did it quite right, but I think I might get it right next time. I'll try it again and post how I did it if it turns out better.

MartiDIY said...

True. Mine usually have stains or a burn on them before very long anyway.

Lynn said...

All three of your projects look great. Might have to give that scrappy one a go.

Kate said...

I like your Crossroads blocks, very colorful. Hope you get some time to finish up this month's UFO.

MartiDIY said...

Thanks! Scrappy is fun but I'm ready to be done with the Irish chain.

Sandy in MI said...

I love your potholder! Also, you know I'm not Sandy in MI but haven't figured out how to change the login.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

You are right - a potholder is a good project for practicing FMQ, but it is difficult also because it is so small. Congrats for using it to practice not only FMQ, but also the binding technique. I think binding small items is difficult and you did a nice job! Thanks for linking and sharing on MCM!

MartiDIY said...

I decided after doing it that a potholder is too small to practice FMQ. I guess if I stitched a scrap fabric to the sides so there was something to hold onto, but that was way too much work. lol