Sunday, December 6, 2015

Scrappy coasters

I have to say I. LOVE. THESE. COASTERS! They are quick and easy to make and so doggone cute. I had enough of the same fabrics to make two, and then had to start digging through the scrap bins to find enough similar fabrics to finish out four. I can just see these made with holiday fabrics too - Christmas, Valentines. And what a great gift idea too. Can you see how excited I am? It's because they are so easy. Literally took me 5 minutes to make once I had the fabrics. Digging through the scrap bins took about twenty minutes. lol






I searched all the local shops and couldn't find a hexagon ruler, so made mine out of cardboard. Not the greatest but it will work until I can buy one. In the picture, you'll notice the upper one isn't finished. I wanted to show my neighbor and fellow quilter how to make these.  I know she will be smitten also.

I mentioned this in my last post, but I'll say it again, that I saw these coasters on Lisa J's blog: sunlight in winter quilts. She has a link to a tutorial for them.

Thanks Lisa!



Linking to
Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework.
Love, Laugh, Quilt

19 comments:

Sandee said...

Oh thanks for sharing these. I can see how you could do seasonal ones. How awesome.

Have a fabulous day. ☺

Rosa said...

So gorgeous!

MartiDIY said...

I should probably wash one and see what happens before I go overboard making these, but they'd still be cute in Christmas colors.

MartiDIY said...

Yes! And soooo easy to make.

Tired Teacher said...

These are attractive as well as functional.

Deb A said...

So fun! Thanks for the link to the tutorial.

MartiDIY said...

Yes they are. I'm anxious to see if condensation from an iced drink seeps through to the table and if so, I might line the next ones with something waterproof.

MartiDIY said...

Your welcome. I think Lisa has a link on her blog to the tutorial.

gayle said...

Very pretty! And useful, too - double bonus!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

These are a great little project to pull from your scrap bin. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Vicki in MN said...

Fun coasters indeed! I made potholders a couple years ago with the same method, just bigger hexie's. Got a kit for them at a quilt show.

MartiDIY said...

Yes it is. They do have to be big scraps though.

MartiDIY said...

That would be a good project too. Did you put any batting in those?

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love your quilted coasters, and I can see how they could be adapted to different holidays with the right prints. I would love receiving a set as a gift. Blessings!

MartiDIY said...

Thank you. I think holiday prints would be good for anyone, but it would be impossible to find a color that suited everyone, and all neutral would be boring.

MartiDIY said...

You're right!

beth said...

These are great!

MartiDIY said...

I agree. I can't believe I haven't seen them before.

Jan said...

A great idea.... I've only discovered the joys of quilting so I'm definitely going to take a look at Lisa's blog. Jx