September 04, 2018

Storm Clouds Moving In

You know by now that I love clouds and I love odd and unusual things. So when I saw this cloud Saturday evening, I ran to get the closest camera, which happened to be my phone. Not the best for good photos, but I thought I was only going to show this to Hubby, so it didn't matter. Do you see the dragon cloud?



I recently moved my galvanized stock tank pond into the middle of the 'yard' beyond the back porch, and we've been sitting around it nearly every night lately. So after I took that photo, I let the cat out, propped my feet up on the edge of the stock tank and got ready to watch the sunset. The sunset itself was nothing special, but I glanced to the east and saw that the clouds had continued to build, and as the sky darkened below the clouds, the top of the clouds caught the sun and shone a brilliant white. I took a quick photo even though all the antenna lines marred the beauty.

Just after the last bit of sun disappeared over the horizon, I glanced back again to the east and was amazed at the colors that had appeared around that cloud.  This time I ran past the antennas to take a picture.


The colors were brilliant swirls of pinks, corals, and blues, and my phone camera doesn't do it justice. I had to lighten the photo for the bottom of the clouds to show up and it distorted it a little, but it didn't affect the colors.  This picture shows the color but not the intensity that they really had.

It rained this morning, a nice, slow rain that turned all the low spots into little pools, and then the sun broke through and chased away all the clouds. Late this afternoon, the clouds started building again, and I grabbed Hubby's old phone, which is still a newer phone than mine. He had to quit using it when it started dialing random phone numbers when no one was even touching it. As I type this, it is on the counter taking pictures of the ceiling every so often. The last thing Hubby needs is a phone that calls customers at 2 a.m. so now it is only good as a camera. It looked like the clouds were going to split and rain on everyone but us. To the east, the clouds were sending rain to the same area that got it Sunday night.


And to the west, it was moving right over the neighbor's house.


Right after this, the clouds on both sides moved our way, colliding over us with pounding rain, lightning, and thunder that shook the walls and sent the cat running for a place to hide.

14 comments:

  1. The thunderstorm probably wasn't too welcome, but the rain was I am sure.

    Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. One of these days I am going to find a way to keep my good camera handy.

      Delete
  2. I would love to see some rain here. It's going to be several more months for us. Great shots.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Months? It's not unusual for us to go six or seven weeks between rains, but not months. I hope you get some soon.

      Delete
  3. Great photos, although I can't see a dragon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit torn whether it looked like a dragon or the hounds of Baskerville, but dragon sounded so much better. lol

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous photos! And welcome rain I bet. We've had an unusually wet summer here, everything is so green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had 6-8 weeks of no rain before it started raining a couple of weeks ago. Now everything is lush and green again.

      Delete
  5. wonderfully creative cloud shots!

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That's a real compliment coming from a photographer.

      Delete
  6. Wow! Those last few shots are some scary looking cloud formations - I am not surprised it dashed you with rain, and the thunder was enough to shake the house!!! And I had to laugh when you wrote that you 'ran around the antennas to get a shot'. The things we do for our pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were scary looking. As long as clouds aren't green, I'm glad to see them though. Those antennas, agh!

      Delete
  7. Your dragon cloud has spouted fire in the second picture! Both beautiful. You say you love odd and unusual things...so your hubby’s old phone should definitely be a favorite....that’s definitely odd and unusual behavior for a phone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about that! However, calling random people in the middle of the night is more annoying than odd.

      Delete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.