November 02, 2018

Walking in High Cotton, Hard Times Never Looked So Good


Around here, a good cotton crop is normally about thirty to thirty-six inches tall. The cotton in the field behind me is about sixty inches tall. It is lush and pretty, and totally worthless. Want to know why?  Take a look at cotton from a good year.  I'm not sure if it's the same field.  It was taken in the fall of 2016.


The cotton plant is compact and the cotton is thick and plentiful on the plant.  This field had just been picked except for these two rows so that is why there are some stripped stalks behind this and and empty field.

After a long drought this summer, the cotton crop looked dismal; not just this field, but everything around here was stunted, including corn and hay. By the end of August, most of the cotton in this field was barely a foot tall, with a few bolls hanging from each bare twig. The leaves had long since dried up and fallen off.  By the end of July, these plants had given all they had. Farmers didn't harvest it, either.  Maybe because such slim pickings wouldn't make a profit or the cotton machinery wasn't scheduled to be here. I don't know; I wasn't consulted.

But then, at the end of August, it started raining. And raining. It rained for days on end, stopped for a few days, and then rained again. And suddenly, the crops started growing again. The corn, which had already been stripped and baled, put up new shoots and entire fields of corn were growing again. The puny cotton twigs sprouted new leaves and seemed to fill out overnight. They grew taller and taller, but had very few blooms. Now it's the first of November and they have some flower buds, some bolls ready to open, and still have the cotton bolls that opened in July.  You can see some of that cotton on a plant about five feet left of me.

In the almost forty years we have lived in cotton country, I don't remember ever seeing this happen.  I don't know much about cotton, (which is why farmers don't consult me), but it will be interesting to see what happens next with these plants.  It's time to start planting wheat too, and yet still too wet to get into the fields.  I hope they all had insurance this year.

Farming is risky and stressful and for most, has a small profit margin.  But farmers are a rare breed of optimists.  They can lose money on crops one year do it all over again the next year.



This is my "farmer", getting the hay moved before the storm.  Even though the hay started growing again after the rain, and everyone got a second cutting, cattle ranchers had already been feeding the winter stockpile, so many are still looking for enough hay to get their herds through the winter.  We saw a sign yesterday: Coastal $95 per round bale.  Time to plant coastal!

***********

I've been asked by a couple of people why I haven't been blogging as much and if I am moving over to Instagram with them.  No, I'm not going to close my blog.  I do have an Instagram account but seldom think to post to it.  I'll try to do better.  I haven't been blogging as much because I've been having more vision problems for the last few months.  Turns out I have thyroid eye disease, aka Graves Eye Disease.  My eyes burn, my near vision is worse, and it hurts to move my eyes, so I haven't been doing much more than I have to do lately.  I've got enough doctor appointments in the next three months to keep them employed, and hopefully, we'll find a solution.

15 comments:

  1. Who would have thought our eyes would be the bane of our existance? I hope a solution is gound quickly for your eyes. My right eye has now decided to join the fun with the left for the injections to stop the macular degeneration!

    Yep - getting old isn't for sissies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Nope, getting old definitely separates the wheat from the chaff and I've decided I'm the chaff.

      Delete
  2. Sorry about your eyes. I've issues with mine too. I used to have such wonderful eyesight. Not anymore.

    I know nothing about cotton either and I guess that's why they don't consult me either.

    Have a fabulous day, Marti. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that. I never had wonderful eyesight, or at least not since I was in early grade school, and I don't remember what it was like.

      Delete
  3. Former first lady Barbara Bush was treated for Graves Disease. She did quite well. I have the opposite problem, which can be managed with medicine. Good luck on your treatments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've read that. And her husband and dog! George had the radioactive iodine treatment but I read that she didn't. I've been looking at pictures of her eyes lately, and told my endo that in one, she had the puffy eyelids like I have now and later, she didn't. My endo said she probably had surgery but there are cases where the puffiness goes away. I hope so, because I can't afford plastic surgery.

      Delete
  4. It's been a weird year weather wise for sure. We've had more rain than normal and a really late autumn. It's like the trees changed in one day and then lost their leaves. Hope you can find a solution for your eyes. It's not fun to no have full use of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here too. As much as I enjoy fall weather, I do hope we get some freezing weather this winter to kill off some of the bugs. We had huge grasshoppers early this spring and then they got worse. lol

      I hope something can be done about my eyes too. I'm a little worried and depressed about it. I started back on the autoimmune diet along with the meds. I don't know if it will help, but since thyroid disease is an autoimmune disease, I am hoping. Can't hurt anything (except my taste buds).

      Delete
  5. We should give more credit to farmers - they have a tough job with so many factors out of their control! Hope your treatments are effective!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They do have a tough job. I'm glad we're in the "hobby" farm category instead of counting on it for our entire income.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're sorry to hear about your eyes. We cross our paws and hope something can be done. Purrs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope they can too, and I'm working on it from my side as well.

      Delete
  8. I am sorry to hear how your eyes are hurting. I have just recently been diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease so you and I are opposite. Neither is a good place to be in. My heart breaks knowing you are suffering.
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that about you too. You probably haven't been feeling very good either. What are you going to do about yours?

      Delete
    2. I have had it for 23 years and have gone to every doctor I could find - none took me seriously. Visited churches and stood in lines requesting healing prayers. Nothing worked and I have continued to deteriorate. Recently I visited a new doctor who is unconventional. He treats with diet, herbs and vitamins. FINALLY!!!! I am getting a bit of improvement; however, insurance covers nothing and it is extremely expensive. At least I can now get off the couch for more than 20 minutes at a time. I have hope and it makes the whole world look brighter.

      Delete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.