November 09, 2018

When a Good Plan Takes an Embarressing Turn

This spring, when the weeds were growing taller than the hay, we I spent a lot of time mowing. I usually mow in the evening, but one day was so nice that I started in the morning and didn't finish until early afternoon. I usually wear a long sleeve shirt when I mow, but that day I was wearing a short sleeve shirt and I got one of the worst sunburns I have had in a long time. Luckily, there was Preparation H in the medicine cabinet. If you haven't used Preparation H on a sunburn, go buy some NOW and keep it on hand. It works like a charm to take away the burning pain and to turn a sunburn into a tan practically overnight. Your skin won't peel either, provided you stay cool and out of the sun for the next day or two. And no, this post isn't about Prep H; I just got carried away. Besides, you need to know how I got my dark farmer's tan.

So anyway, I now had a super dark farmer's tan next to my super light normal skin, and I wanted to wear a sleeveless dress to an event in a few days. I considered sunless tanners or spray on bronzer, but I didn't know if the color would match or if I could get it dark enough. Then I saw a commercial on tv for Covergirl Tru Blend Matte Made Foundation. The selling point of the commercial is that the makeup doesn't transfer onto clothing and stays on when other makeup melts into creases. Naturally, I wondered if I could use it on my upper arms.

The next day, I was at Target and looked for the makeup. That Target only had four shades of the makeup. The two darker shades were D40 and D70. D40 looked too light and D70 looked too dark but it was hard to see through the glass bottles. I felt like Goldilocks looking for makeup, without the middle shade that was jussst right. What I really needed was a demo, but this was Target, not Dillards, and there was no demo bottle. A peek inside the bottle would tell me the true color, but under the lid was a pump top, not a view of the makeup. I have never, ever, opened makeup in a store before, but I did this time.

I pumped a small dot on my fingertip and touched it to my pasty upper arm next to the tan line and it wasn't a bad match, but I thought it might look lighter when it was spread out across my skin. It didn't. That tiny dot was now a dark streak across my arm and I couldn't rub it in because I still had a little more makeup on my finger. So I wiped my finger inside my wrist, which was a shade darker than pasty, and then tried to smooth out the makeup on my upper arm. It spread out, but didn't thin very much, just enough to be a perfect match for my tan. Then I tried to rub off the streak on my wrist and only smeared it up the inside of my arm. By this time, the palm side of my hand was also dark tan too.

No problem, I thought, I have a water bottle in my cart, I'll just get it wet and wipe it off. No dice. Water just beads up on the makeup. Then I looked around the makeup aisle, which was mercifully empty, and couldn't find anything resembling a wet wipe, a makeup removing pad, kleenex, or anything - nothing except makeup. Now what? Search another aisle, where there were people, or just hold my head up and go through checkout with brown streaks on my palm, inner arm and upper arm? I tossed the D70 into my cart, clamped my streaked arm and hand to my side, and managed to get out of there with nothing more than a few strange looks.

Once I got home, I tried to wash off the makeup with soap and water. It thinned it down to a brown stain, but didn't totally remove it. Hand sanitizer removed it completely though. If you need to fill in a light area in your tan, this product works. It works great on legs too, and goes on without streaking. And of course, it probably works great on the face since it was made for that. But take my advice, don't try it out in the store!

Covergirl Tru Blend Matte Made Liquid Foundation

12 comments:

  1. I walk every day in the summer and get a farmer tan regarding my my feet (since they're in walking shoes). Then when I decide to wear sandals, usually for some social gathering, my feet are oddly pale. I'm going to try this next year, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might work. I think I'd be concerned about the sweating and sandals rubbing against it. Let me know if it works.

      Delete
  2. At least you found a good match. Too bad it wasn't Halloween, you could have come up with a costume idea, like planning to be an Indian to get you off the hook for the arm paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have loved to have been there to see this!! But I wonder how it is for the face. Seems like it would block the pores of the face.

    Cover Girl should hire you for its commercials however!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it would block pores. It was such a thin layer after I smoothed it out that I don't think it would. It went on much thinner than regular Cover Girl foundation.

      Delete
  4. I was holding my breath expecting an embarrassing Preparation H story.

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd hate to think what that would be, but I bet someone has just the story.

      Delete
    2. We bloggers are shameless and share everything. A horrifying story will show up. Just wait.

      Delete
  5. I would be afraid to do this even at home. If something is going to go wrong, then it will happen to me. Just saying. Glad this worked for you.

    Have a fabulous day and week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it doesn't work at home, at least you can get it off. Of course there is always the chance that it will sweat off onto your clothes while you are out. Mine didn't, but it was on my upper arms with nothing touching them, and on a cool evening too.

      Delete
  6. That is a funny story ... and I'm laughing with you not at you because believe me it sounds like something that could have happened to me.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.