April 12, 2009

Making an Old Shed Older


After we took all the old barn wood off the family room walls, I started looking around for a way to use it. One day I looked at the shed and mentioned to Hubby how neat it would look covered with the old wood, and a tin roof. He disagreed. So one day when he was at work, I decided to see for myself.

Before:


After:



The pieces were not quite four feet long by a foot wide, so I stacked them and the two inch strips to make it look like eight foot board and batten.  I used 8D nails to attach them to the original shed.  As you can see in the "before" photo, I just put them between the corner trim and between the trim pieces on the door.. After I finished the front of the shed, except for the very top, I used a combination of tan, brown, and black paint to faux finish the original white trim.  It wasn't a fancy faux.  With all three cans open, I painted a trim piece brown, and then while it was still wet, I painted streaks of tan and black and blended them in a little.  It was just enough to blend with the old wood.  I still need to paint the hinges black.

I took off the original motion lights too.  By the time Hubby came home, I had the front painted and he loved it.  So then he was willing to help me build the shed porch roof and false front on top.  We used all the old wood on the false front, no painting on it except the 4M.  For that, I made a stencil and painted it on with white exterior latex.  After it dried, I sanded it almost to the wood in places to give it an aged look.

The final touch was to add a lantern light fixture I found at the big box store.

Until next time, may you have blessings and imagination,
Marti

4 comments:

  1. Thank you. I keep thinking I'll find a good before picture to add to this. I even took a couple during, but where are they? I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic! I think I should do something like this to my galvanised garden shed. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marti, Just wondering how you fixed the wall cladding to your shed?

    ReplyDelete