October 16, 2009

How We Spend Our Days is How We Spend Our Lifes (Lives)

That's the message on a picture I bought today. Uh oh. Why didn't I notice that typo before I ripped the cardboard off the frame?



Lately, I've been spending a lot of time painting. I'm sick to death of painting raised panel doors. I'm basically a lazy person and the easy way to paint these doors would have been to take them off the hinges, make a spray booth in the garage, and spray every door in the house. But Hubby never got around to it, so here I am, painting them room by room. This too shall pass, and I'll be back to my normal, lazy routine. Or will I?

For longer than I care to admit, I have spent way too much time sitting at the computer, surfing for stuff, reading blogs, and organizing pictures and genealogy information. That saying gave me a chill because that is not how I want to spend the rest of my life. It's not how I want to be remembered. I always thought when the girls grew up and left home, I would have so much time to do things. Now they are gone and I don't know how to fill my days. Cooking and cleaning lost their appeal a long time ago.

Hubby and I have been reading 48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller. I have also been doing a few strengths and weaknesses tests. I already knew that my spiritual gifts are service and encouragement. Good gifts I suppose, but not in demand by most employers. Jobs I have had in the past that I truly enjoyed involved research. I have always been a good judge of people, another skill that isn't very marketable without some kind of degree or professional experience. The least favorite jobs I ever had was working for a headhunter (employment agency), doing telemarketing. Cold calling companies all day trying to get them to list a job opening. Yuck! The next least favorite was working at a nursing home. It was supposed to be a bookkeeping job, but turns out they needed someone to do patient care. I was nineteen and couldn't handle the smell or chaos. My degree is in English Education and while I loved the teaching part, I hated the discipline part. It didn't help that I was twenty-two and looked younger than most of my students. After living with strong-willed children (and knowing when their crises were real), and homeschooling them, teaching in a school setting became much easier. I have substitute taught many times over the last few years, but that isn't a career. In fact, most of the time substitutes don't do any real teaching, just maintain the class (aka a glorified babysitter). I have considered teaching full time again, but would have to go back to school to have a current license.

Hubby doesn't want me to teach again, because he remembers the stress and the long hours spent at home preparing and grading papers. I'm on the fence about it. Maybe the path will become clearer as we continue through the book.

No comments: