December 06, 2009

My First Scammer

I listed our dining table and chairs on Craig's List, thinking that the holidays and family gatherings would be a good time to sell. What I didn't think is that it is also a good time for scammers.

I have had a lot of spam from Craig's List ads in the past, usually with something in the title asking me if I need to make money. The two I have received from this ad are a bit different, in that they seem to come from someone with a real first and last name, and ask a legitimate question about the table. Both, however, had spam filters on their email - something I found quite ironic.

The first scammer was a cheapskate. He only offered me $30.00 more than I was asking and said he would send a money order with his assistant. The second one was the typical Nigerian scam. He told me he couldn't come see it himself because he just got married and was on his honeymoon, but it looked perfect and he would send a cashier's check for well over the asking price, with instructions to pay his shipper and send the cash balance back to him.

The marriage was a variation on the overseas business trip which I haven't heard before. This scammer may be new to scamming if he thinks anyone is going to believe he is on his honeymoon and spending his free time surfing Craig's List looking for furniture.

My reply to this second scammer? Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha.

No comments: