February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day

If you've been reading my blog long, you know that I don't like Hallmark Holidays. I don't like anyone telling me I have to buy cards (at $3.50 a pop) or gifts at a particular time to prove my love. Part of my independent streak I guess. (I wouldn't join a sorority in college because I didn't want someone my age ordering me to do whatever they said, whenever they said it. I don't kowtow.)

It has taken a burden off the whole family to know that nothing is expected of them on Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Grandparent's Day, Groundhog Day, President's Day (that's tomorrow you know), or International Pancake Day (that's Tuesday).

So imagine my surprise when Hubby handed me a box yesterday. It was the necklace I wrote about in November's I'm in Jewelry Love.



It was smaller than I thought it would be, but nice, and really nice of Hubby on so many levels. For one thing, I didn't think he even read my blog and I've never mentioned the necklace anywhere else.



And he bought it outside the regular gift giving days which is pretty incredible because Hubby doesn't even like shopping for those days. So that was really nice. But it also presented me with a problem: The Rule of Reciprocality which states that for every gift received, one must be given. (It's an unwritten rule.) Then there this one: The Rule of Gratis (another unwritten rule) which states that a gift should be freely given from the heart, which brings me to the last one: The Rule of Obligation (you've never heard of these unwritten rules?) which states that the obligee feels overwhelming guilt and rushes out to fulfill The Rule of Reciprocality which then breaks both The Rule of Gratis and my rule I Don't Do Hallmark Holidays.

Hubby magnanimously told me he didn't want a gift in return, which has allowed me to really enjoy this day and this unexpected gift.

Until next time, may you have blessings and unexpected gratisfaction,
Marti

(P.S. I make my own rules, and all rules are meant to be broken.)