February 10, 2010

Watch Your Electric Bill - Or Maybe Not

I just got off the phone with my electric company, the one with three letters. I don't get it, I really don't. You'd think a company making millions of dollars would be a little more careful.

Let me start at the beginning.

At the end of August, I received the bill for that month, and it showed 0 usage. I just figured they misread the bill at the end of July and were adjusting it.

At the end of September, I received another bill showing 0 usage, so I read the meter myself and then called the company and asked what was going on. I asked if my bill had been misread in July but the guy didn't know and said he'd have someone call me in ten to twelve days. No one ever called, so I called again mid-October and was told an investigation had been started September 29 and they determined that the meter wasn't working. I told them I was standing in front of the meter as I talked to them and it was working, the dial was spinning and number dials were moving too. But they sent someone out to change it anyway.

My October bill matched the meter so I figured all was well. The November bill was a bit high considering it was a mild month and I wondered if they over read the meter.

The December bill once again showed 0 usage and I once again assumed they did over read the meter in November and were adjusting it.

Then I got the January bill with another 0 usage and called them. They said they would look it into and someone would call me. No one did, so I called again today. This guy had me go look at the meter while we were talking and I could tell the meter wasn't working. The dryer was running yet the dial wasn't moving at all, and the number dials showed the same numbers as the bill which was read two weeks earlier. So once again they are sending someone out to check the meter. I bet my next bill is going to be a budget buster.

What I find so unbelievable is that NO ONE at the company picked up on one 0 usage month, much less two in a row. No wonder our economy is in trouble. I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't called at all?

Until next time, may you have blessings and low bills,
Marti

No comments: