February 20, 2011

Seed Starting Methods

Experienced gardeners may already know this, but it was a surprise to me so I thought I'd share. I usually buy my tomato plants in pots from the store and plant them in the garden. But this year I thought I'd try starting from seed. I had saved a bunch of four inch pots, but the day I wanted to plant seeds, I could only find two of them. So I used those two, several one gallon pots, and for the rest, Hubby scrounged up a package of plastic cups. I punched a few holes in the bottom of the cups, lined all the cups and pots with squares of paper towels, and filled with seed starter mix, dropped in a few seeds in each one, sprinkled with water, and covered each with Press 'n Seal wrap.


They all sprouted about the same time, but now, a week later, the seedlings in the translucent plastic cups are twice as big as the seedlings in the opaque plastic pots. More sun coming through the sides as well as top must make a difference, as all the seedlings in cups are ahead of the pots. I have these little greenhouses in several windows in the house, some facing east, some south, and some west.

Until next time, may you have blessings and growth,
Marti