February 02, 2018

It Seems I've Done an About Face

Last night I was looking through old blog posts to see if I had posted a picture of a work-in-progress quilt, now a UFO. After reading several posts from around 2009, I realized how much my blogging has changed, and how much I have changed. In one post, I griped about people who did nothing but post their stuff to linky parties. Uh, gee, toe-in-sand, yeah, that's what my blog has become. Just about every post is linked to a party of some kind. Maybe one of my 2018 goals should have been to get off my duff and actually do something worth reading.

My excuse and explanation is that I lost my blogging mojo. After moving, we used a hotspot for an internet connection and my net time was severely limited for almost a year. After we moved again and finally hooked up a regular internet connection, I was out of the habit of blogging and couldn't think of anything to write about. Or if I did think of something, by the time I got my computer powered up, I had either forgotten or lost interest.

But then, my daughter, Brownie, decided to become a foster parent, and I thought I'd make a birthday quilt for one of the boys. That was in August, when my sewing machine was set up in the attic where the temperature had to be 110 with no breeze. So after cutting out a few blocks, I stuffed everything in a box until I could find a better place to sew. Eventually, I just gave up and bought him a pair of boots. Then Christmas rolled around and the other little boy's birthday was coming up. By then, it was cold in the attic, but we had a bigger trailer, a fifth wheel, and I brought my sewing machine into it. I stayed in the attic long enough to cut the blocks and then assembled it in the warmth of the trailer and with a tv to relieve the boredom.

That quilt, the Cars quilt, revived my interest in quilting, and also gave me something to blog about. My mother's current obsession with disposing of her junk (she has had some heart problems in the last year and thinks the Big One is going to get her any day even though her tests are good now), along with my eye problems have made me determined to finish my UFO quilts and not leave that mess for anyone to deal with. Still, finishing UFOs that I lost interest in years ago isn't easy, so I joined a bunch of linky challenges to motivate or embarrass me into getting it done.

I hope along the way, I can remember how to write about everyday things again. Oh, and that UFO I was looking for? Found it, or at least a picture of it. I guess the real thing is in a box around here somewhere.

This weekend Hubby wants to get his radio antenna put together. Heights scare me to death, whether it is me on a ladder or him on a tower. Well, it isn't the height itself that scares me, it's falling from a height that scares me. But maybe between watching him nervously and putting 9-1-1 on speed dial, I can take a few good pictures and maybe think of words to go with them.

6 comments:

  1. I guess I'm the linky gal. All I do is three memes a week and they all have links. I'm good with that. It's better than blogging every day like I used to.

    We all change from one thing to another at some point. It's a good thing.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend, Marti. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Times change and so does blogging. Many blogs I once read have disappeared completely, and I find myself not blogging much either. BUT I do enjoy reading what is going on in your life - even if there are links!

    I share your feeling about heights - just another commonality we share! Hope the radio antenna goes well! And looking forward to whatever you share with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandee, the difference is that that was your intent with Comedy Plus from the beginning and being a linky host is different than post after post of "this is what I linked to today" which is what I've been doing lately. I know there are a lot of people who only post when they want to link to parties, and that was their intent when starting their blog. I sure didn't mean to ruffle any linky party follower feathers with this post. I just never intended to do only that, and obviously at one point in my life, I must not have liked linky parties. I do like them now but it's still not the only thing I want to do. My blog didn't start with a purpose, which I guess is part of the problem. I started it more as a daily journal of my life to keep me accountable in my struggle to get and stay healthy. Big fail there. And the linky parties have actually helped in that area. If I could just find one on eating better, a healthy meal a day challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, K, when I have a blogging block, I think of something you did one time. You challenged yourself to write a blog post every day for a month. I don't remember your reason for doing it but it always seemed to me to be a good way to get back into the groove. I was going to do that this time, but I couldn't think of anything to say. I was in such a slump, and still am. When I looked over my old posts from 2009, I was surprised at some of the things I wrote. I wasn't nearly as boring then. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer to stay on the ground too. When my husband had to go on the roof to put the screen back on the chimney ( to keep birds out), I held the ladder and had my cell phone ready just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heights isn't one of my favorite things either. It's hard to write a blog every day (and just as hard to keep up with reading other blogs and returning emails). If the linky parties get you to the computer and gives you something to build a post around, that works. I like seeing what you are working on quilt wist or other craftsy stuff. It's kinda like a quick visit to someone's day/week/month to see how things are going in their part of the world.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.