April 01, 2019

Flickering Asus Laptop Screen

Welcome home computer!

Even though Hubby let me use his laptop, and I had my iphone, it's not the same as having my own computer in my lap. I didn't want to save anything to his computer and I don't like trying to type on my iphone. I have a lot of work to do in the house, and I need to listen to a book for book club tomorrow night, but I just have to get online right now and make my rounds first.

By the way, if you have an Asus laptop, and the screen flashes when the power cord is plugged in, consider this a public service announcement. I had been having some other problems with my laptop for quite a while, six months or more. Maybe even a year. The keyboard would suddenly stop working and I'd have to restart the computer to be able to use it again. At first, it was just once or twice a week, but in the last month, it's been every day, sometimes several times a day. I'm going to say they replaced the fan, but they used a bigger word for it, thermo-something. When I thought back, the fan had been louder lately.

But the main reason I took it to the shop, is that last Sunday, the screen suddenly started flashing when the power cord was plugged in. It didn't happen if the power cord wasn't plugged in. They did say that the battery was only holding a charge for about 15 minutes, which was odd because I used it on battery for hours every day. I wondered if they confused my computer with someone else's computer.

I took it in Monday morning, and they called Thursday afternoon to say it was fixed. They said it never did flash for them. Again, I wondered if they confused computers. As soon as I got home with it, I immediately turned it on, plugged it in, and got online. Still flashing. I called the shop and was told to bring it back in Friday morning. How aggravating! I needed to catch up on some paperwork and thought I'd get that done before taking it back in. After unplugging the cord, I made a couple of spreadsheets that I would need Friday morning and began printing them. After three or four hours, the low battery box popped up. I didn't know how much they had charged it or used it on battery power, but I was pleased that it held more than 15 minutes, so they probably were thinking of someone else's computer when they said mine wasn't holding a charge. I needed to plug in the charger to finish printing my spreadsheet and didn't know if it would work while it was flashing, but I needed to take the chance. Plugged it in, and no flashing. But after printing, I got online, and there was the flashing again. So, it only happened when I was ONLINE with the power cord plugged in. I was using Chrome. I closed Chrome and tried Firefox. No flashing. Okay, so it only happened when I used Chrome.

I couldn't think of anything I had done Saturday to make this happen, but just in case, I thought I'd restore to Friday or before. That took awhile, and when it was done, Chrome and Firefox were completely missing from my laptop! So I undid the restore. Chrome and Firefox back, and still flashing on Chrome. A Google search showed that this was a fairly common problem, having something to do with the desktop graphics refresh rate or a recent driver update. I hadn't changed any of that Saturday, and already had it set on the recommended 60 hertz rate. So after my Friday morning appointment, I dropped it off at the repair shop again. When I picked it up this afternoon, they told me it was the desktop theme color.  I know I didn't change anything there recently.

Right click on desktop. Choose: Personalize.



Choose: Color. It probably says Automatic under it.



Now choose a specific color. Anything except Automatic (with the color fan on it.)


Save. Now it will show the color you chose.


Boom! It's fixed.


6 comments:

  1. Did you tell the tech folks that you figure this out? Probably not, but they should have already known about this.

    Have a fabulous day and I'm glad your laptop is fine. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Six mnths ago, I could not access my email account - the email service shrugged their shoulders at me (over the phone) I was using Chrome, so I installed FIrefox. I could instantly access my email, but still got the same denial message on Chrome. I contacted Earthlink (my email) and they basically said "Well, use Firefox, then," Peculiar if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandee, I did tell them I googled it and found the answer about the driver update, and then they googled more and finally figured out that it was a desktop issue. Maybe the color thing is only an Asus problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, Google/Chrome doesn't work well with a lot of things. I don't know if it is intentional or just a different software.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marti - technology - can't live with it, can't live without it … It always amazes me that someone somewhere has programmed these machines, but still can't fix them. A little scary ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marti: I am so sick of computer problems, sometimes I think they do not believe we have problems, they just like us to come to their store.
    Good luck I hope the problems are gone.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.