September 19, 2019

Out of the Way Drying Rack

I haven't posted any DIY stuff in a long time so I thought I'd show you something I built even though there is nothing fancy about it at all.

One of the hardest things about downsizing is the lack of out-of-the-way space. One of the reasons we sold our last house was that we had so much space we never used, rooms we seldom went into. When we drew up the plans for this home, we tried to make use of every square foot and I wanted the washer and dryer to be more convenient and efficient. To make it easier to get laundry done we put the washer and dryer between the shower and the closet. No more schlepping dirty laundry from the bathroom across the house to a laundry room, and then back to to the closet. Unfortunately, that left no place to drip dry any clothes near the washing machine.

I knew we were going to have stairs to the attic and thought I would put a clothes line up there, similar an idea presented by Amy Dacyczyn in her book Tightwad Gazette. We weren't here long before I decided that Amy D's attic didn't reach 120 degrees by mid June. I needed a plan that wouldn't cause heat stroke.

As I looked around the laundry area, the bathrooms, and the closet, the only usable space where such an eyesore could exist was in the closet. It's just a simple clothes rod that folds against the wall when not in use. A magnet holds it in place. (One of these days I need to find a smaller magnet.) I put it over the door in the closet so it wouldn't be in the way (as much) when being used. Luckily, there are two doors into this closet so there will always be a way into the closet and there will be more air flow when drying clothes.







6 comments:

  1. What a cleaver idea. Whatever works.

    Have a fabulous day, Marti. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marti: That is a great idea.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a smart idea ! Nicely done ! Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creative problem solving!

    I love Amy D's books. I subscribed to her newsletter years ago - the original blogger. Her ideas kept me motivated to save money, look for alternative ways of solving problems and got us through the roughest financial times of our lives. She was the reason we were able to achieve all we have now.

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very thoughtful solution. I never considered why they put the laundry room at one end of the house versus nearer the bedrooms where most of the dirty clothes accumulate.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.