March 15, 2020

"To Our Elderly, High Risk Patients"

That's how the email from my doctor started. My first thought was that it was sent by mistake. Even though I take an immunosuppressant medication, I just thought I had a higher risk than healthy people. But elderly??? Really? ELDERLY?!!! Come on now! Just because I'm over 60, they are lumping me in with someone who is 90.

The email went on to say that if we have an upcoming routine appointment (I do), that we should reschedule if we aren't having any problems, and to stay home as much as possible. There was also a link to a CDC website page for high risk people that should apply to everyone.

After my Friday visit to Walmart, I had already decided to limit my exposure to crowds. I was going to go to church this morning and make it my last visit for awhile, but I got up with a slight cough and drippy nose and decided I'd better not expose the real elderly people at church. I'm 99% sure that it is either allergies or some daycare cold given to me by our grandsons who just moved here. They've been going to McDonald's beside the interstate a lot and my youngest daughter is afraid they will bring the coronavirus home to me. She has been sending me links to playground equipment to see if Hubby will put it together if she has it sent here. So far, Hubby said no. I, however, would like to have a swingset, so when they are gone, I can put a porch swing on it.

A quick update on Buddy T. Cat too. He has not been doing well lately. We noticed a few months ago that he was losing weight and he had begun to have a lot of little cysts popping up on his skin. Then, one Friday morning he got up and fell over. He wobbled when he walked and fell over a couple of times. We took him to the vet, and she did a boatload of tests and with none of them positive, she diagnosed him with an inner ear infection because she noticed he was falling to the left every time. She gave him an injection of antibiotic, a steroid injection, pills for dizziness, azodyl for renal support, prednisone, and ear drops. Over the weekend, he got better but by Thursday, he was falling over again. The vet wanted us to start giving him an oral antibiotic even though the shot she gave him should have lasted a couple of weeks. So I picked up that prescription and an increased dosage for the anti-dizzy medication. This time he didn't improve over the weekend and by the middle of the next week, it was obvious that he was getting worse.

Another trip taking Buddy to the vet and the diagnosis is vestibular disease caused by tumors in his ear. By then, they were large enough to see, and he also has some on his tongue which makes it almost impossible for him to eat. I've been giving him a lot of chicken bone broth, but lately, he won't drink that either, and drinks very little water. We both think this is the end of life for Buddy, and I have spent a lot of hours with him in my lap telling him how glad I am that he came into my life. He doesn't seem to be in any pain and spends a lot of time sleeping in my lap or on a bed beside my chair. If he were in pain, I'd take him to the vet for a final injection, but the vet's office causes him such stress that I just can't do it. I know he would rather pass peacefully at home.



7 comments:

  1. Our huMom got flu shots for years as she taught grade school, so she heard the general warnings for years. Just this year she realized she WAS one of the old people (she is 74) so she kinda knows how you feel.

    We are sorry to read abut Buddy. We are sending purrayers and Power of the Paw yo both of you. He knows how loved he is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an emotional roller coaster this post was. First, I feel the same. I am ELDERLY! When did that happen? That really hits one right between the eyes, doesn't it? Second - I am happy your grandsons are close by. Even though they are always little petri dishes of possible disease, I love being so close to all mine and I hope you are really enjoying them. Third I had been wondering about Buddy for a while. He is suffering from the same thing that another friend of mine in Ft Worth had gone through with one of her kitties. She has probably spend thousands on a 15 year old cat - surgery (ended with the removal of the ear itself) then the eye on that side developed an ulcer because of nerve damage to the lid and removal PLUS chemo and radiation. How sad for that kitty, and how I am already grieving for Buddy. You are doing the best for him. Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marti - we are not in the high risk group, but decided starting on Monday to severely limit our social contact in order to help flatten the curve, as they call it. Of course, not everyone is doing this, so I think things will get worse before they get better. So, what a bad time to also have Buddy declining. My heart goes out to you - it was only in September that we lost our dear Josie, and I still miss that little fuzz-bucket every day. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marti: So sorry your sweet baby is ill, Blondie The cat sends her love to Buddy.
    Stay Healthy

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister works for Hobby Lobby and when her supervisor was describing the elderly, it was anyone over 50. (Not sure where that definition came from, but there it is). So sorry to hear about Buddy's health issues. Wishing Buddy lots of cuddles. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.