September 03, 2009

Ah Yes, Life in the Country

And neighbor's dogs barking at 3a.m.

So I'm lying there wondering when they will ever stop barking, tossing, turning, and finally sat up to see Hubby's digital clock. It was 3:30a.m. and when I sat up, he let me know he was awake too. Then we both tossed and turned and wondered aloud when they were ever going to stop barking. I asked Hubby if he wanted me to turn on the radio or CD to have something drown out the noise, and he said he was going to go see what they were barking at.

I turned on the radio, and pretty soon I heard him knocking on the back door - he had locked himself out. By the time I found my glasses and slippers and walked to the back door, he was pounding on the door. I opened the door and there he stood, wearing nothing but his tighty whities and a t-shirt. I resisted the urge to ask him what pocket his keys were in.

I went back to bed and he got dressed, to start working I assumed. But no, he had seen what they were barking at. It was a possum, perched on the fence between the barking dog neighbor and another neighbor. These dogs jump on the fence all the time, so we couldn't figure out why they were just barking while it sat there and watched them. But Hubby got his flashlight and a big stick and started beating the fence until the possum got off and wandered into the other neighbor's yard. Beating the fence really stirred up the barking dogs but it ended soon after Hubby came back in, probably because all the racket finally woke up the neighbors.

Why is it that people with barking dogs can never hear their own dogs barking in the middle of the night?

Until next time, may you have blessings and peaceful sleep,
Marti

No comments: