Sunday, October 27, 2019

Half Square Mosaic

I recently sorted all the plywood and lumber in our workshop/garage. It was a mess, stacked here and there and leaning against walls. Once it was in like piles, I started working on the biggest pile - the plywood. Once I picked out all the pieces needed for upcoming projects, I started cutting the remaining scraps into building boards for the grandsons. All the scraps from that were then cut into triangles, half square triangles to be exact.

After all the cutting was done, I laid out the triangles to see what I could do with them.

I decided to make a mosaic to hang on the wall in the garage. I ran them through the router to round the edges, and then started painting and playing with designs.  I decided on a half square expanded star.

Someone asked me how I painted them.  I used acrylic paints, the tube type worked better than the bottled craft paint.  Some triangles were painted with just one color but I get bored easily and decided to play with color.  So on some I painted two colors and blended them while the paint was wet, and on some I painted a base color, let it dry, and then painted a thinned color and sprinkled drops of alcohol on it.

Next, I built a frame with a back so I could glue down each triangle.  I also cut some small strips for a solid border (not shown).

I painted a stripes on the frame, blending in one color to the next, like I did on some of the triangles. Then, mounted wood blocks on the wall, turned the piece on point, and hung it.

This is as close as I've come to quilting in months!

Linking to:
Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy
Busy Monday 389 at a Pinch of Joy
Inspire Me Monday at Domestically Speaking
Fabulous Party at Lou Lou Girls
Friday Feature at Oh My Heartsie Girl
Talk of the Town at My Repurposed Life
Handmade & Otherwise at Petals Pies and Otherwise
Saturday Sparks at Pieced Pastimes

Monday, October 14, 2019

Rain, Glorious Rain!

I was going to post this Friday, but I got sick again. This time I am on antibiotics so maybe won't relapse. It rained heavily Thursday night and slowed to a light rain Friday morning. Two neighbors reported 3-1/2 inches in their gauges, so I'll take their word. I drove through our low field Sunday and didn't leave any ruts, so the water must have soaked in quickly. This was our first measurable rain in over two months, so we are still under a burn ban. But hopefully, it is the first of many more rains. I just need to get out there with some fertilizer first.

Friday morning, a friend went with me to a quilt show in a neighboring town. I say quilt show, but it wasn't like a guild show. It was a group of church ladies who have a quilting/sewing group and they like to show and sell their projects once a year. I wanted to take some photos, but since no one else was taking pictures, and since the items were for sale, I kept my phone in my purse. The ladies there were very friendly and invited us to join their weekly sewing circle, and I may go next time. By the time we left, it had stopped raining.

Our town was having a city wide garage sale Saturday, so I dropped Linda at her house to start setting up, and I went to the grocery store to buy kid-friendly foods because Lil and the grands were coming for the weekend. By the time I got home, I had a scratchy throat and the beginning cough. I took some AirBorne, but it didn't make any difference and by Saturday morning, I was feeling much worse. Needless to say, Lil didn't bring the kids to our house. I had just been to the doctor Thursday with another complaint, and Hubby went Friday for his cold, so I called the office and the on call doctor called in a prescription so I didn't have to wait until today to start antibiotics. I feel much better today too.

I hope you are staying well and have a good week.

Monday, October 7, 2019

Fall is Finally Here

September only had one day with temperatures below 90 degrees. Most days were over 95, but with the drought, at least they weren't very humid days. October brought a couple of quick rain showers that barely got the ground wet, and the high temperatures stayed with us. But last night, finally, a cold front made it down here and right now it is 68 degrees. I actually wore a light jacket to the lumber yard. There is a strong wind blowing, but it's still wonderful to be cool again.