August 14, 2010

I Am a Blogaholic

I love seeing what other people create, what they think, and how they organize their lives. I like to read a variety of blogs but there are some that give me that “oh boy!” feeling when I see a new post.

One of my favorite blogs is Our House, written by a forum friend of mine, Pakalana. Her writing style is warm and easy, giving a peek into her life as a homesteading farmwife and mother of five. She milks cows and goats, feeds chickens, rabbits, pigs, and of course cats and dogs, gardens and cans her produce, bakes, and still has time for her family. It’s like a modern Little House on the Prairie, and every entry ends with me wanting to read more. I think her life intrigues me because it’s something I always wanted to do, but I know now that I never will. It’s such a far cry from my usual life of gardening, remodeling, and life near the city. She doesn’t post often during the busy seasons of her life (and they’re all busy) but I hope she posts more soon.

I have found that I really can’t live without Better After. I don’t know how she does it, but Lindsey finds the most amazing transformations and I could look at them all day. (And sometimes I do.) This is one of those blogs where every entry is good and you want to go back and read from the beginning. (And I have.) I was going to link to one of my favorite transformations, but really, there are so many that I can’t decide between them.

Another blog that is a daily addiction is Someday Crafts. Every craft Michelle has found has been one I would like to make. Someday. She finds something for everyone and I love the variety. I used to bookmark each post but found that I was doing that every day! She has a list in her right column with the crafts labeled, so now I use that to find something I want to make.

I’ve mentioned before that Larainy Days is one of my favorites. Her posts crack me up; I just love the way she looks at life. I love her latest, Dressing for Failure. I think every woman, well, every woman over 35, can relate.

I have learned so much from Blogger Tricks. I found this blog when I had accidently changed my blog template and couldn’t figure out how to get it back. Then I started looking at all the tips and had several of those “Aha!” moments when I finally understood some things I had read about. I even learned how to make these links open in a new window there. Kranthi also has some really neat templates. When I find the right two column template, I want to switch to something more contemporary.

Katy Wolk-Stanley at The Non-Consumer Advocate writes a smart blog about frugality, living simply, decluttering, living wisely, green living, and all the things that are near and dear to my heart. I love that she lives what she writes.

If I had little ones at home, I would have to make everything Amy does at The Idea Room. I don’t know if she sits around thinking up all this cute stuff all day, or if she gets an idea somewhere else and tweaks it so it is just right. A lot of her ideas are perfect for adults gifts as well. I’ve made several things and will be gearing up for Christmas crafts soon. Last year I bought all the stuff to make personalized hand sanitizer, and then I never got around to making it. This year I am starting early.

I found Back Porch Musings when I was looking for something to do around St. Louis one year. But I’ve kept reading Pat’s blog to read more of her adventures. She also gives some great tips that I have used in my blog. Seeing her lovely home gives me hope that the chaos of my house may someday be tamed. It does fill me with longing to see a house where every room is not only finished, but perfectly decorated with nary a ladder or paintbrush in sight. Someday. Someday.

There are so many more, I could really go on and on adnauseum. Some blogs appeal to one person and not another, so the ones I like may hold no interest at all for someone else. Some blogs that draw me are because I see myself in the posts. I connect with some blogs in one post and then never really get the same feel again. But there are other blogs, like Grandma's Attic that I swear I see more similarities all the time. It’s like she is reading my mind at times, and that is freaky but oddly reassuring too.

The funny thing is, on most of the blogs I read, I look on their blog rolls and see other blogs I read. What are your favorite blogs?

Until next time, may you have blessings and inspiration in blogland,
Marti