April 06, 2023

Thankful Thursday

I am thankful for my home and the beauty surrounding it in spring. I love this field in front of my house and the fragrance is delightful. These pictures were taken with my phone and don't begin to capture the beauty of the bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush.

Neighbors who watch out for each other.

Spring rains.

Hummingbirds and purple martins.

And since Easter is just days away, I can't end without saying that I am thankful for Jesus, who gave his earthly life so we might have eternal life.

Leeanna's prompt this week is ""do you have any fun or special memories of getting or giving an easter basket? What was in it? Was it covered in that shiny see through crinkly paper and candy sitting on that paper grass? Remember that wall of easter baskets in the front window of the dime stores ? Did you do easter egg hunts in the yard, and did you love it? "

When I was a little girl, it was usually too cold to have Easter egg hunts outside. The day before Easter, we drew on boiled eggs with our crayons and then dyed the eggs in rainbow colors. The dye wouldn't penetrate the crayon wax so the words and designs showed up after dying. One big splurge my mother made at Easter was to buy an Easter egg dye kit. There were tablets of concentrated dyes and little metal egg holders that looked like a lasso with a bend beside the loop. It was quite a contest to see who could carefully cradle the egg in the loop of this little metal lasso and dip the egg in the dye without it falling off.

On Easter morning, we got up to find that the eggs were hidden all over the house, and when I say hidden, I mean hidden. None were in plain sight. After all the eggs were gathered, we gave them to Mom in exchange for a live chick or duckling that we got to keep in our room until it was big enough to go outside. Cheep, cheep, cheep all night long! I didn't know Mom counted the eggs in our baskets until the year one was missing. It was finally found a couple of weeks later in my closet and boy did it smell bad! After our egg hunt, I put on my best dress and went to church. If I had grown much since Christmas, Mom would have made a new dress in spring colors. Lunch was probably a ham, but I only remember that the Easter eggs were now deviled eggs which we quickly devoured.

After we moved to North Texas where the grass is green and flowers are in bloom at Easter, our girls had Easter egg hunts in our yard and garden. We usually had their hunts after church when it was a little warmer and we didn't have to worry about being late for church. It was so fun to see them running from flower to flower looking for eggs, which were plastic, not boiled, and filled with candy or nickels.

Easter 1999, Mom with my girls.

*******

Mia and Smokey Chime In

Smokey:  Why is Mia's name first?  I lived here first.  I demand top billing.

Mia:  I'm more important than you are and besides, it's alphabetical order.  You're already distracted too.  We're here to talk about things we are thankful for.

Smokey:  Well, I am happy that it is spring and my catio is open all day.  I'm happy the mice are in the backyard again.

Me:  Wait.  What mice?

Smokey:  The mice that lived under the steps last year are back again this year.  I got one already.  *smug grin* 

Mia:  I showed him where they were hiding, but mousing is cats' work.

Smokey:  What is dog's work?  You lay in bed all day.

Mia:  Chasing stray cats out of the yard.  Remember that black cat that was harassing you Saturday?

Smokey:  Yeah, he growled at me while I was in my catio.

Mia:  After mama shooed him away from your catio, he went into my backyard, and I chased him up one side and down the other and he finally squeezed through a cattle panel to get out.  He won't be back to bother you anymore.

Smokey:  You did that for me?  I love you.

Mia:  Ewww, don't say that, I don't even like you.  Protecting you is just part of the job.

Smokey:  I'm going to come rub on you anyway.

Mia:  Not looking at you.  You're not there.  Go away.

Me:  What are you thankful for Mia?

Mia:  I love dad.... and my pillow... and my bed in the kitchen... and my bed in the ham shack... and my bed in the RV.  And cheese.  I love cheese.




Me:  What about me?  Do you love me?

Mia:  Eh?  You're ok.  I love that you feed me chicken.

*******

I am linking with the usual Thankful Thursday linkups, and I'm sad to see that Overflowing with Thankfulness is discontinuing her linkup after today. We'll miss it Jennifer but understand how a weekly obligation can be tiring. Jennifer has a Wednesday linkup called Currently that looks interesting and I hope to join it next week.

I Like Thursday at Not Afraid of Color

Thankful Thursday at It's a Small Town Life



7 comments:

  1. WOW, that field is absolutely beautiful, really beautiful. That is a beautiful photo with your Mom and your girls. My Easter memory was the Easter basket, a yellow macrame one my Mom made, actually I still have it. Mia and Smokey, you had good thankfuls too. Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning photos, what a beautiful view to look out on xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the egg dye kits, but I had forgotten about the little metal egg holders! The field in front of your house is so beautiful. Loved reading about your family traditions and that photo of your Mom and girls is priceless. Smokey and Mia's convo is hilarious. :)
    I got two spammy comments just like the ones you got above.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so hard to capture the beauty of those blue bonnets and Indian paint brush in a photo. We saw so many pretty fields of them when we were in Texas a couple of weeks ago. You are lucky to have that display to wake up to during the spring. I remember the egg dying kits, mom would get those when we were little. I remember getting new white shoes for Easter to go with our dresses for church. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That field is gorgeous! I remember making craft type baskets with my mom using string, starch, and a balloon. Good times! Thank you for linking up and have a great, blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marti - what gorgeous bluebonnets! We are still seeing snow around our place, as recently as Tuesday morning! This is normal, but I do get Spring jealousy when I see colorful Spring photos. I smiled at your description of coloring Easter eggs - we used the same dye kit and copper egg holders!!! I can remember just reaching in and grabbing the egg with my fingers and having purple fingertips for days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marti!!! I, for some odd reason, am not getting your emails in my email and Norton is blocking me from your quilting blog. So very odd!!!
    I wanted to say that your sewing room is going to be beautiful, I love all that gorgeous wood in there!!! WOW!!!
    I also wanted to know how the shingles are working out??
    And one more thing, my granddaughter has moved to Kempner Texas. Is that anywhere near you?

    ReplyDelete