September 08, 2019

Where Did the Mojo Go?



Have you ever lost your blogging mojo? Or maybe it's writer's block, blank brain, or just plain apathy. Whatever the case, I have been in a funk for quite a while. Oh sure, I can think of things while I'm driving down the road, or have a hammer or paintbrush in my hand, but the minute I sit in front of the computer, my mind is a barren wasteland.

I've gotten a couple of emails in the last few weeks asking me why I haven't been blogging and a friend asked me to post more about our barndominium. But what made me feel guilty about not blogging was when my mother called and told me she felt that she was missing out on our lives without my blog. Nothing like mom-guilt, right? So I sat down at the computer, opened a new post page and watched the cursor blinking in the corner. Then I looked at facebook, watched a youtube video, tried to make a list of things to blog about, and finally emailed a blogging buddy who hasn't missed a week in ten years to ask how she does it.

Number 1. When she doesn't have the time or inspiration, she hires a ghost writer. Drat. She is a food blogger who has ads and sponsors and can't afford NOT to post a couple of times a week. And because she has ads and sponsors and doesn't want it known that she doesn't write every single word herself, I am not going to link to her blog. Obviously, a small-time personal blogger like me can't do that.

Number 2. Finish a draft post. How did she know I have unfinished draft posts? I guess most people do. I looked at my drafts and they either require extensive research or photos of something I don't yet have. There are a couple of one-liners I could develop - if I could think. But I'll keep it in mind for another day.

Number 3. What did you do today? What is fresh on your mind? I went to an estate sale that was closed when I got there and then went to the grocery store. BORRRRING! And then I patched nail holes in the wall where I built a clothes drying rack this week. STILL BORRRRING. "Back up," she says. "Pick up your phone, photograph the drying rack, and BOOM, you have a post."

Number 4. What was the subject of the last long conversation with someone? What was the last comment you made on a facebook post, or blog, or online forum? Is it post worthy? Most of my conversation lately is with the cat and his major accomplishment this summer is to be sleeping in precisely the spot I need to be.

Number 5. Rewrite, update, or expand a previous blog post. Another good idea, but one that will take some time and a few more brain cells than I have at the moment.

Number 6. And this may be the most important for future posts. Keep your iphone at hand at all times. When you see something interesting, take a picture, or a lot of pictures. The pictures will prompt your memory later. If it's an idea, turn your phone to video and make a voice recording. That's easier and faster than trying to find something to write on, or even to type a note into your phone.

Number 7. Have a specific posting day, or days. People like structure, even on blogs like mine that seem to have no structure. Ouch. Sometimes truth hurts.

I joined a couple of hyperthyoidism facebook groups and common complaints are brain fog and memory loss. Maybe that's part of my blogging problem though that has gotten much better in the past few months. I still misplace words that were just on the tip of my tongue and I forget what car I drove to the grocery store when I have a full basket of frozen food, but all in all, I feel closer to normal than I have in a couple of years. I hate to claim that excuse but even more, I hate to think I have nothing more to contribute here.

At least it will make mom happy. And I was just kidding about the mom-guilt. Mostly.

5 comments:

  1. I can so relate. Good tips, though. I miss that my late father used to read my blog and then call me to discuss the subject further or we'd have a laugh about something I mentioned. He loved seeing a different, creative side of my life and reading my words. Hope you get your blogging groove back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet. I think it makes my mom feel like we are not so far apart.

      Delete
  2. It happens from time to time ; we miss time, or we think that we have nothing interesting to say. Wordless Wednesday saved us many times, MOL ! #7 and having a phone ready to shoot a picture helps a lot. Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marti - you are not alone. Occasionally, I feel unmotivated to write a post, and I only publish once a week. When I am looking for inspiration, I think about other blogs, and posts that I have enjoyed. Is there something there I can "steal"? For example, I have noticed a lot of people showcase collections that they have, so I wrote a post about my moose collection. My hubby likes posts that have emotion over facts, so sometimes I write about how I am feeling, and look for pictures to match. This post you wrote fits perfectly into that category and it is something that every blogger can relate to! Hope your week ahead brings you some new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to see you back on the blog, even if's just once a month or so. It's challenging to post every week. It takes time to write, edit, get photos etc. Maybe another question worth asking is why are you blogging, what do you get out of it (other than assuaging mom guilt, which is not an insignificant motivator). I really enjoy seeing what's going on with blog buddies that I've been following for a long time (like you). So a post on what's been going on with the build, the quilting, the weather (West Texas has some extremes there), pictures/stories Buddy's latest antics are all enjoyed and appreciated. The weekly linky parties help with my motivation to post regularly, especially since I host a linky party. That post has to go up every week, so I do have to put some thought into it before Sunday. But that does help me post regularly. Hope your Mojo comes back soon.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.