January 09, 2023

An Unexpected Long Holiday

Everyone came to our house for Christmas this year. Brownie and her boys came with coughs and runny noses but Brownie assured us it was nothing, just the end of their colds. The day they left, I had a scratchy throat and Hubby started coughing the next day. It quickly progressed to chills, fever, and the worst body aches I have ever had. One sleepless night, I actually thought something had happened to our bed and all the springs and metal frame must have come through the top. But by the end of the first week, we were both over everything except a deep, croupy cough and being very tired. We assume it was flu but never got tested.

Today marks the end of the second week and I feel pretty good. I hate to admit this, but I've enjoyed this past week. Other than the coughing that woke me up at night (Hubby's, not mine - I learned how to sleep through my own coughing), I have binge watched Longmire, The Crown, Providence, and All Creatures Great and Small. I've started a new quilt, I've kept my slippers on all day, have eaten comfort foods, taken several naps a day, worn old, ratty clothes, and let my hair stick out in all directions. It was like going back to 2021, minus the naps and funky hair.

We took Mia to a veterinary ophthalmologist last Thursday. It was about 60 miles from us on the other side of the city. It was just a consult for surgery, so the drive was the hard part of the trip. After that, we had to pick up prescriptions and do some grocery shopping for mom. By the time we got home, we both fell into bed and took a two hour nap. It seems this cold or flu has turned us into old people.

But now it's back to reality and the daily grind. Today I have to take down the Christmas tree and put up Christmas decorations, things I usually do on January 1. Tomorrow I have to take my banquet tables to the library and set up for our book club meeting. Wednesday, I have to take Mom to a cardiology appointment. Her assisted living is in a Covid lockdown and I don't know how this is going to work. Thursday, Mia has to go to the vet for teeth cleaning and toenail surgery. She may never want to get in the car again. I have reserved Friday for another old person nap.

2 comments:

  1. Exactly what happened to us (minus the fever) after our daughter left last week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone gifted me with Covid the week after Christmas. At least it wasn't during Christmas week. At least both of you got sick at the same time, it's always worse one gets it first then gives it to the other.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.