June 21, 2018

How's the Weather?

It rained yesterday! At least drops of water hit the ground but they dried instantly. My mother would say that it rained a foot - every drop was a foot apart. But it's the first moisture we've had in weeks, so it's worth noting. The best part is that it was overcast all morning, which made for a cooler day. It rained sprinkled on and off for about an hour, and between the drops, it was often misty. I'll take it. But after the sun came out, it quickly became hot and muggy. The evening news weatherman said the high was 92° and with 52% humidity, it felt like 103°. I'd rather not take that.

Today, a local Wunderground station says it is already 96° and shouldn't get much higher.  But the heat index (shown here as FEELS LIKE) may be a lot higher.


I worked in the garage yesterday and it felt hot even with the door open. Usually, we get a decent breeze but not yesterday. I took apart a sink table that hasn't seen much use, and built a dutch oven table out of the pieces. By late afternoon, I was so hot and sweaty that I could barely hold on to the hammer. Finally, when I was just about finished, I walked around the corner of the trailer and saw that the two big windows were closed. No wonder it was so hot in there all day! Hubby thought we might get a heavy rain so had closed them before he left for work. I opened them, which didn't help much with the heat that had built up in the garage, but it did come in handy later.

After dinner, I started cleaning up my mess, and the mess that the cat made with his cat food, and eventually Hubby went in to take a shower and go to bed. I finished up and took the cat carrier outside to empty it and the door shut behind me. You have to know this door to fully appreciate that sentence. The door isn't the problem, but the door knob is a problem. It's the kind that doesn't really unlock when the inside knob is turned. The button in the middle doesn't pop out unless it is turned and then the door knob is turned twice. I bought a new door knob but it wouldn't fit. Hubby said we have to have a whole new door, and that just hasn't made it to the critical to do list. I had unlocked the door earlier and had been in and out all day. But someone locked it before he went to bed, and I didn't notice until I turned around to come back in.

Good grief! Now I had to pound on the door until Hubby heard me. But there were two things working against me: Hubby's hearing isn't very good, and the air conditioner in the trailer was on. If you've ever been in a travel trailer with the a/c on, you know how hard it is to hear over it. I had turned it up to 85 while I was working in the garage, so I knew it wasn't going to shut off for a long time and Hubby obviously didn't hear me pounding. So I picked up a stick and went around to the two, big windows and started pounding on them. They are only a few feet from the trailer's bedroom window which would make it easier for Hubby to hear. I pounded and pounded and FINALLY, I heard the trailer door open, so I shouted, "Unlock the door and let me in!" and then the trailer door shut.

Even though Hubby doesn't usually mind walking on the dirty garage floor, I thought he might have gone inside to find some shoes; I walked back to the demon door and waited. And slapped mosquitoes. And waited. And waited. Finally, I started pounding on that door again and when he still didn't come, I went back to the window and pounded on it. Then I heard the trailer door open again and Hubby shouted, "Where are you?"

To which I replied, "I'm outside, I need you to unlock the door!" And I went back to the door just as he opened it.

"What are you doing out there?" he wanted to know as I picked up the cat carrier and brought it back inside.

"Locked out, and I was just about to break a window to get back in. Why didn't you unlock the door the first time you came out/" I wanted to know.

"I thought you were on the other side of the trailer hammering on something."

"I was hammering on something - the window! Why you didn't call out or come around to find out? You didn't hear me yell through the window to unlock the door?" I was indignant.

We have got to get a new door. And soon. It is way too hot to be locked outside.

12 comments:

  1. We're going to enter a heatwave starting tomorrow. Welcome summer.

    Have a fabulous day and stay cool. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess everyone has to suffer a little in the summer. Stay cool where you are.

      Delete
  2. As you saw over at my place it's st dang hot here. Dang, it's awful to get locked out of your own place! Have a fabulous Thusday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you live in my part of the US. It could be worse, we could live in the Tropics.

      Delete
  3. Oh no! Sounds like something that would go on around this place! I'm glad he let you back in and you didn't have to spend the night under the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, mercy. One thing i've learned is to never, ever step outside without the key in one pocket and my phone in the other. Sweetie locks someone out on a regular basis!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I know this is not funny, but you had me laughing my head off at this exchange … yep, probably time to do something about the lock or the door ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was probably rude of me to laugh at you being locked out of your own house, I hope you'll forgive )) ... actually i was laughing WITH you because that sounds so like something that could happen to us. Yep, you'd better get a new door .... and having just recently come from a visit to Minnesota I'm still scratching a few mosquito bites and so if I were you i'd be more afraid of them than of your heat even!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The worse time I have ever been locked out was when I stopped for a quick look at a garage sale. I had my two small sons strapped in their car seats so I pulled up all they way in the driveway. My little dog jumped up on the door and locked it as I got out. My phone was inside, my husband was at work 20 miles away and had ridden the bus that morning, my third son was at school needing to be picked up soon. I just started crying - not very mature, but it worked. A nice man volunteered to break into the trunk and push the backseat down, whereupon the dog began to bark and bite at his hand. He was able to open the backdoor and I jumped inside. I thanked him profusely then later realized I didn't even buy anything at their sale.

    Glad you got inside without having to cry.

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I've done that too though. I set my car keys on the armrest while I strapped in my 6 month old and must have pressed the lock button as I closed the door. I had to call the fire department who had a neat little thing to unlock cars. That was back in the day when they didn't take kids away from their parents for making a stupid mistake, thank heavens.

      Delete

Your comments make my day and I look forward to visiting your blog too! If you are a no-reply blogger and don't have your blog on your profile, could you write it in your comment so I can visit you? Thanks! Due to a recent spamming problem, comments with links and unidentified anonymous comments will be deleted.